Vacation Rentals & Family Reunions
Summer is here, which means family reunion season is upon us! If you’ve reached the point where can’t count your cousins, an annual reunion is a great way to stay connected with your relatives. Vacation rentals are the ideal way to bring together a large group — you forego the hassle and expense of a hotel, and relieve family members of some pretty daunting hosting duties.
Of course, the suitability of a vacation rental home for your reunion depends on the number of people in your family! Many homes are well-suited to groups under 20 people. If you’re lucky and have a larger family, you may want to split your group over a few homes in the same neighborhood. Many vacation rental owners have multiple properties near each other, and would be happy to rent to your whole family at one time!
Whether your family is big or small, there’s certainly a lot to consider when planning a gathering. If you’ve never opted for renting a home for your reunion, check out this guide to getting started…
Why choose a vacation rental for your family reunion?
- Be together. Gone are the days of “Meet in the lobby in 20 minutes.” You and your family will no longer be spread over several floors of a hotel, scattered in separate rooms… so, you can actually enjoy your vacation together!
- Spread out. There are plenty of properties that are marketed specifically for family reunions and larger travel groups like retreats or church groups. Rental homes often boast larger living areas, kid-friendly bedroom configurations, and amenities such as a private hot tub or a swimming pool. You’ll also enjoy the convenience of having your own kitchen for preparing and enjoying meals together — and possibly even a BBQ and outdoor dining area during the summer!
- Let loose! When you don’t have to worry about disturbing neighboring guests or being hushed by hotel staff, you can truly enjoy all the belly laughs, rowdy wrestling matches, and good old family fun that come along with a great family reunion.
- Save money. There’s no getting around it — traveling with a large family is expensive. One of the best ways you can cut costs is by staying in a house. An eight-bedroom home will be less expensive than eight hotel rooms… we promise. You’ll also dine out less often and be able to entertain yourselves at home more.
Tips for a smooth family reunion:
- Plan ahead! Coordinating schedules for your whole family can be a daunting task. Start early, and make sure to get everyone on the same page before reserving accommodations and flights.
- Adhere to all rental policies. If you plan to host the reunion at the vacation rental property, be sure to check with the owner or manager first. Some properties do not allow large gatherings. You’ll want to make sure that you are following all house rules — nothing puts a damper on a party like having to cancel it!
- Consider the amenities offered. Though choosing a place with a private pool or one right on the lake may be slightly pricier, trust us when we say it’ll pay off! The kids — and adults — will enjoy having plenty of activities right out your front door. Be sure to choose a place with a fully-stocked kitchen, and enough bathrooms to comfortably accommodate your group.
- Bring entertainment with you. Though most vacation rentals come equipped with entertainment options, it’s not a bad idea to bring the fun along with you. Fill a large tote with a few decks of cards, dvds, books, board games, and puzzles. Because the last thing you want to hear is “Mom… I’m bored.” Need some ideas? Check out our post on great family vacation activities!