1. Why did you buy your property? What attracted you to it? Do you have a favorite feature?
It’s only three hours from where I live, so weekend getaways are very easy. The cottage has a spectacular view of Lake Huron — and has the best sunsets. It has a large sandy beach, yet is up on a bluff for privacy if you don’t want to be part of the beach action.
2. You are one of Evolve’s first-time renters. What made you decide to start marketing your property as a vacation rental? I am recently divorced, and didn’t want to give up my dream cottage after all the work I put into renovating it. By renting it as a vacation home, it ensures that I can keep it for my retirement and enjoy it for many years to come.
3. How do you handle on-the-ground services like cleaning and maintenance?
I have a local maintenance contact for on-the-ground services. I’m still searching for a housekeeper, so this year I’ll be taking on that role myself.
4. What sparked your interest in the service? How has Evolve helped you transition to becoming a vacation rental owner?
I came across Evolve’s website during an Internet search, and the services described were exactly what I was looking for. I love Evolve! Everyone has been wonderful. From putting my listing together, to helping me decide on what to charge, and dealing with renters — I couldn’t be happier with the service. I couldn’t imagine having to facilitate the rental process, collect the fees, etc. It is just so easy with Evolve. People book, and the money shows up in my account.
5. What favorite local spots or activities would you recommend to travelers staying at your home or visiting the Port Austin area? Any great hidden gems or insider tips?
For dinner, I’m a big fan of The Farm or The Bank. For good pizza, The Fireside. The Port Austin Farmers Market on Saturdays is a great place to buy produce, fish, steaks and bread: all that you’d need to prepare a meal at home. I often buy produce to take home for the week — it’s cheap and fresh. For outdoors enthusiasts, rent a kayak in town, or join an organized trip. Remember to pack sun screen, water and a snack!
Tracy’s vacation home in Port Austin, Michigan is perfect for families, weekenders, and beach bums. Located on a private sandy beach on Lake Huron, her bright and airy cottage beckons summer vacationers for a serene escape.